St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church in Arlington, VA seeks a dynamic Director of Music and Organist to lead the church’s music ministry with joy, creativity, and enthusiasm, while actively engaging the congregation in worship through music and providing musical accompaniment for services and special events.
- Plan the music for worship services, holidays, and special occasions including any vocal and/or instrumental performances, working in coordination with the Priest-in-Charge and Worship Committee.
- Oversee and strengthen the music ministry. Recruit and encourage musicians of all ages, both vocal and instrumental, within and outside the congregation.
- Provide musical accompaniment for weekly worship services, church holidays, and special occasions such as weddings and funerals.
- Lead the lay volunteer choir, including conducting rehearsals and selecting and purchasing choir music.
- Play the organ with proficiency. In addition, playing the piano competently is highly preferred.
- Oversee the care and upkeep of all musical instruments.
- Provide the church office with song lyrics and other bulletin information.
- Plan for and manage the music program budget.
- Participate in the weekly staff meetings.
- Assist the Priest-in-Charge with other music ministry related projects as needed.
- A degree in music is preferred but not required. Music performance or equivalent experience a plus.
- Experience with Episcopal Church liturgy and its traditional and less traditional music is preferred.
- Ability to actively engage the congregation across all ages during worship through music.
- Enthusiastic, with good verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to collaborate with others and maintain good working relationships.
Terms of Employment
This is a part-time exempt position of 10-12 hours a week, and will start as an interim position with potential to move to a long-term arrangement. We would like to capture a strong candidate that will be able to fill all our needs, and are offering a salary range of $20,000.00 to $24,000.00 commensurate with experience. The Director of Music and Organist is directly accountable to the Priest-in-Charge for the satisfactory fulfillment of all functions and responsibilities of the position, including managing the budget allocated to the Music Ministry. An office is provided.
Interested persons are asked to email a cover letter, resume, and two references to Rosalia Rodriguez-Garcia. You can reach her via email to our Parish Administrator (firstname.lastname@example.org). This position will be open until filled.
About St. Andrew’s
Located in northern Arlington, St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church is a vibrant parish, committed to welcoming all, equipping our members to grow in their faith journey, and caring for those in Arlington and beyond. We are a community that celebrates music and believes in spiritual growth through music.